Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Next Phase

My mother hasn’t been sleeping.  She admits this is from a combination of my father’s snoring and her worry.  She knows that the current situation isn’t sustainable, but is unable to see past next week.

My father’s mental state is worsening, as is expected with someone with Alzheimer’s.  His mobility is limited and, in fact, lessening quickly as occurs with diabetes. 

All this is overwhelming for a 78-year-old woman whose experience is limited to the goings on of a farm and its household. To have to proactively plan and decide the future for her husband and herself is more than she can bear…hence the headaches.

In my usual ‘bull in a china shop’ way, I asked my mother very directly what the options in this town might be for potential ‘next phase’ living.  There are few:  there is independent living in a lodge and assisted living in a nursing home.  Nothing in-between.

My approach must be non-emotional or else I risk doing as everyone else has done:  nothing.  I make appointments, get on waitlists, and hope that whatever happens occurs in a manner that doesn’t require any real choices.  The variables are 1) the progression of illnesses, 2) my parents’ openness to change, and 3) time.  All these variables will determine ‘the next phase’.

For now, I’m hoping that having a few potential options will alleviate my mother’s headaches and some of my guilt.  I definitely have the better end of this deal.

5 comments:

  1. Such an emotional situation Michelle..best of luck to you and your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you. Good for you for doing something, though. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tu écris vraiment, vraiment bien. J'aime beaucoup te lire. Je penses à toi. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished reading a book, Still Alice, written from the perspective of a patient with early onset Alzheimer's. It highlights how difficult this situation is for the spouse, kids, and the person with Alzheimer's. This must be extremely stressful for you. I hope you find a workable solution for your parents' "next phase" of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your thoughts and support. Aging, like taxes, is bound to happen, but we all have a built-in filter that helps us ignore it...until we can't. I literally have to stop myself from thinking about it otherwise I completely lose it. Wish I could blame it on hormones...but I think it'll last a bit longer than that!

    ReplyDelete