Saturday, October 2, 2010

Changes


As we were driving through Kananaskis Country last weekend, one of Alberta’s many treasures, I was in awe of the brilliant colors surrounding me.

I realize this will sound outrageously corny, but I became conscious that I’m going through one of the greatest changes in my life at a time when my surroundings are changing from lush green (thanks to a lot of rain recently) to brilliant autumn colors (thanks to the near-freezing evening temperatures).  I know this happens every year, but this year I seem overly sensitized to this transformation.  (Perhaps this just means I’m getting old and getting in touch with my mortality??  Yikes..)

With these changes comes the preparation for the next season, be it fortifying our vehicles with winter tires, cleaning the yard of leaves and dying plants, or emptying our gardens of our summer harvest.  The analogies are plentiful. (Or…am I just conscious of what’s on my ‘to do list’ as soon as I stop going to the office…  another Yikes!)

Normally I would be sad by the loss of summer to the chilly and cold winter weather (yes, in Canada we often jump from summer directly to winter!).  This year, I’m actually enjoying the transition period because it’s giving me time to adapt and adjust from one state to another. 

All I ask is that we don’t get snow before I get winter tires on my car!

1 comment:

  1. I love the blue skies, sunshine and coloured leaves, but fall is always a poignant time for me too. Murphy's Law states that the first big snowstorm of the year happens the day before your scheduled appointment to have your snow tires put on!

    ReplyDelete