Thursday, October 21, 2010

What Colour Are Your Glasses?

So much of how we feel is based on how we perceive and receive signals.  And conversely, how we interpret signals depends on how we feel.  If the filter through which we’re seeing is tinted, either by anger, insecurities, or other  in-the-moment feelings, we likely aren’t interpreting those signals accurately.  Unless we explicitly ask questions that will help us see more clearly, we will internalize our feelings…incorrectly.

I’ve been reading a lot about ‘mindfulness’.  This refers to, in this moment, scanning my body, breathing, and mindset, to understand how I’m feeling…which will ultimately determine how I interpret information.  Although I’m doing this ‘on the fly’ (i.e. Not laying down on the yoga mat all day to figure myself out), I’m finding that this actually does help to slow down reactions and anxieties overall.

Being mindful means ‘being present in the moment’.  I must admit, I thought I was quite mindful…until recently. I’ve noticed that, unless I take the time to do the full-body-scan exercise, I’m really only scanning from the neck up.  This tells me about what I’m thinking, not how I’m feeling.  

Glasses provide protection from flying articles…but they also allow us to see things more clearly.  The tint we apply is ultimately our choice.


OK.. enough of this deep thinking stuff for today!!  :)

4 comments:

  1. Being present & in the moment is something I always struggle with. I find myself thinking 10 steps ahead and missing what is right in front of me. Great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Tracy, I find I have to remind myself to let go of the planning, and enjoy the moment. But, I always say, why not see the world through rose coloured glasses? It makes more sense to me to frame things in a positive light than a negative one. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interpreting the signals we receive every day does play a large role in being a positive or negative person. The same signal means different things to different people. Positive interpretations and positive signals given out to people are the biggest influences to create a happy person. The glasses are important for interpreting not only what we see but it is also the "x-rays" that those glasses project that create that positive person. Keep up with the deep thinking stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Tracy and Shawna, I also struggle with being in the moment but am trying to be more aware of this, some days with more success than others.

    ReplyDelete