Sunday, October 17, 2010

Stepping Outside Of My Comfort Zone - BIG TIME


Ok, I’m a closet ‘wanna-be-rock-star’.  There, I wrote it. 

I’ve known it for a while, but haven’t wanted to admit it.  I love singing and I’m not too bad at it.  I play the piano – poorly at best.  So now I’m trying my fingers at guitar playing.

It’s very humbling to start something from ground zero at 46 years old.  Mary Had A Little Lamb and Ode To Joy are the extent of my repertoire to date.  I had my first lesson with a new instructor last week and I think this one has promise.  The last one was easily half my age and a hundred times my talent.  The real problem was that his ego barely fit through the door.  I felt like the lessons were more about him showing off his riffs (for those non-music folks, this has nothing to do with his body!!) than me knowing how to play a scale.

So, I’ve had to cut my nails to the quick, shut all the windows in the house, and now pluck at the guitar for at least 30 minutes each day.

I’ll let you know when my first album comes out…make sure to look in the nursery rhyme section!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you my dear following your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sign me up for a copy of your album- never know when I may be in the mood to hear a good nursery rhyme :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on ya! I tried picking up the guitar about 5 years ago and never really got past Mary had a little lamb, but then my singing sounds likes a strangled cat so that didn't help.

    You on the other hand - keep it up!

    ReplyDelete