Friday, September 24, 2010

Leaving The Employment Nest


I am a 46-year old professional who has decided to leave a corporate career to explore what I might want to do for the second half of my life.

I have chosen to switch gears from the fast-paced corporate life to one of the unknown, discovering what I need and want in a purposeful life.

I’m one week away from ending a 25-year relationship with my employer.  Although this should be a sad, scary, and perhaps conflicting time for me, none of these emotions describe what I’m feeling.  As with any good divorce, I’ve been thinking about this breakup for quite a while.  We ‘haven’t been getting along’ is a bit of a misstatement.  Perhaps ‘irreconcilable differences’ is more appropriate.

At some point in the past three years, my ambitions have tapered, my loyalty dampened, and my perspective broadened beyond what my employer could offer.

Although ultimately the decision to end my career with Corporate Calgary was my employer’s, I have consciously and sub-consciously been sending out the ‘pick me!’ flags for the severance package lottery.  The stars aligned and….Ta Da!, here I am.

I’m now off to my next adventure!!

OH… and did I mention that I’m a young 46 year old??!

2 comments:

  1. I love your comparison to a divorce and your relationship with Corporate Calgary lasted much longer than a lot of marriages. I look forward to seeing what new adventures you will find!

    P.S. Love the clouds, they are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I'm looking forward to reading more, having stepped away from corporate life myself. Hint: prepare an answer to the inevitable question, "So, what do you do?" And prepare for some weird looks when you tell them!

    ReplyDelete