Friday, September 24, 2010

Voluntarily Unemployed: Why?


So what was the purpose of leaving a well-paying, mostly satisfying job to now be voluntarily unemployed?  Many people would suggest that I’m crazy. Going through mid-life crisis. Overly stressed. Lazy. Barking mad in fact.  Actually I’m none of these.

I’ve been very blessed:  I’ve had a great run at a career; I’ve made some lucrative financial investments; I’m reasonably fit and healthy; I have a very supportive partner, but most importantly, I’ve been exposed to very diverse people who have given me insights into lives and lifestyles I would never have considered 10 years ago.  These are people who have stepped out of their comfort zones to explore careers and activities they felt passionate about, leaving behind the usual societal pressures of more, bigger, and faster. Most of these individuals were very successful in the first careers, but at some point, they ventured away to do what made them more fulfilled.  They are artists, musicians, writers…or they simply do a variety of things that fulfill all the important dimensions of their life.

This blog is about the exploration of what, given this blessed opportunity, I can and want to do for the second half of my life. 

I know I’m not unique in this adventure…so I hope to get insights from those who have undertaken this path before me and those who are on the same search. 

Feel free to blog me your insights, experiences, and advice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment