Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Emotions Of The Voluntarily Unemployed


As with any major change event in your life, there are many emotional phases to transition through before getting to the ultimate peace.

About a month ago, I went through the ELATION phase.  This was when I realized that what I had been fantasizing about would actually happen.  With this elation was RELIEF as well, knowing that I can now work on a plan for my future. (of course, knowing that I can is different from actually doing it!)

Another emotion that often creeps in is DOUBT.  Let’s be clear… I DID NOT EXPERIENCE THIS PHASE… I skipped right over it.  I’m sure I’ll have to come back to analyze this later, but for the time being, I’m very comfortable with my choices.

Right now, I’m going through a small ANXIETY phase.  This anxiety is self-imposed, because later this week, I’ll be saying goodbye to my routine, my place of work, where my colleagues have been the primary source of social interaction for years, and goodbye to colleagues who have become my dearest friends either because of proximity (gotta love those cubicles!) or because of the common values and experiences we shared.   I know that some with remain dear friends, but for those that have been mere acquaintances, it is more likely that our paths will cross less and less.

My primary emotion at the moment is IMPATIENCE.  I just want to move on.  I’ve been preparing myself psychologically for months; having to put on a good work façade is draining. Even though I’m not sure what the future will look like, I’m ready to get on with it. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of breaking out of the mold of working for 40 years and then retiring. I'm encouraged everytime I see someone taking the leap of faith to do something different with their life. Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing. I hope you enjoy the 'in-between' time too as you figure out what to do next.

    ReplyDelete